
I got an iPod a couple of months ago to celebrate losing 25 pounds; this was a gift that I thought might encourage me to keep moving. And it has! It is a great enticement to go for a walk when I think, "Hey, I can listen to Brandi Carlisle for 45 minutes." Which is exactly what I did today. The most amazing part about this new headphone -- excuse me, ear bud-- experience is that I'm actually listening to the lyrics of the songs I've been playing for years without doing that. I might vaguely know them or sing them unconsciously, but mostly I've just been listening to rhythms and sounds and the feelings behind the lyrics. Which is kind of strange for someone like me who loves words so much. I'm falling in love with music all over again, and everything I listen to feels richer and deeper than it did before. Maybe part of it is giving myself so fully to it. When the sound is going directly into your ear like that, it's hard to avoid it. This just reminded me that many years ago, 25 to be exact!, I listened to a Duran Duran song (listen here) that I loved on headphones, while lying on my bed for a nap in the summertime. I heard that John Taylor was singing harmony in a voice so low, I couldn't hear it on my speakers! It was so amazing, like a little secret that I discovered.
I'm thinking that maybe if I keep this up, I'll learn to listen more carefully to the beautiful people in my life. Maybe I'll discover new layers and elements and richness to their words and their stories. Maybe I can do this for myself, too. And maybe you can do it for you, too...
(PS This image is from someone else's blog: http://creativebits.org/taxonomy/offtopic)
No comments:
Post a Comment