Saturday, January 31, 2009

Introducing a new member of my committee...


My father recently sent me this wonderful piece by Maira Kalman to whom he introduced me through her book The Principles of Uncertainty. Little did I realized that she was the artist who illustrated a new edition of The Elements of Style that a former boss gave to me. Her images and words fill me and, in the case of Principles, made me long for the serendipity of the city. You can hear a short lecture by Kalman here.

Some food for thought, from the introduction to Elements: If you don't know how to pronounce a word, say it loud! If you don't know how to pronounce a word, say it loud!" This comical piece of advice struck me as sound at the time, and I still respect it. Why compound ignorance with inaudibility? Why run and hide? -- Strunk

No comments:

This blog, dedicated to my dear friend Summerlilly, is where I've been logging the things that make me smile or laugh or that get me to think about things in a new way -- things that sparkle. I hope that you will find something that does the same for you in these entries. Feel free to post a comment! I would love to hear what you think.